Before you begin this form...

You will be asked to identify yourself/your partner as either a relevant national or a foreign national.

A relevant national is:

  • British citizen,
  • Irish citizen,
  • a person with either European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS) settled status, EUSS pre-settled or pending application to the EUSS submitted on or before 30 June 2021

A foreign national is:

  • An European Economic Area (EEA) national without EUSS settled status, EUSS pre-settled or pending application to the EUSS
  • Any other person from outside the European Union (EU)

In some instances, applications will need to be referred to the Home Office, UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).

There is an additional charge in these instances.

Notice must be given at least 28 days before the date of the marriage/civil partnership.

  • If the marriage is taking place at a Church Of England Church, the vicar will normally call banns and there would then be no need to give notice.
  • If banns are not being read then continue to make the appointment.
  • If the marriage is taking place abroad please contact the embassy/consulate of the foreign country to enquire what documents are required before continuing with the appointment.


There are documents you will need to bring with you to give notice.

These are listed on the GOV.UK website:

If you are unable to bring the correct documents to your appointment you will be unable to give notice of your marriage or civil partnership.

Privacy notice

The council primarily use your data for handling your query.

All information is processed in accordance with our organisational data protection policy (

We never sell your data to third parties or use it for marketing purposes without your consent.