There are four methods of applying for building regulations for your project:

Building Notice

For domestic alterations and extensions (not within 3 metres of a sewer). This should be submitted at least 48 hours before the work starts and must be accompanied with the statutory fee, drawings and any details. No approval is given with a Building Notice which is valid for three years from the date the notice submitted, after which it will automatically lapse if the building work has not commenced.

Full Plans

Alternatively, if you wish to obtain formal approval for domestic extensions (within 3 metres of a sewer), commercial and educational works before the work begins you can submit a Full Plans application. This must be accompanied by the statutory plan fee, scaled drawings and supporting details. We aim to check plans within 15 working days and decisions issued within 2 months, though usually given much sooner. You can commence building works prior to approval being given but it is not recommended.


If works were carried out without Building Regulation consent, started on or after 11 November 1985, a retrospective application relating to the unauthorised works can be submitted. Depending on the circumstances, exposure, removal and/or rectification of works, structural calculations may be necessary to establish compliance with the Building Regulations. This must be accompanied with the statutory fee and any drawings and details.

Window and door replacement

You need only make a building notice window replacement application where the installer is not registered under the Competent Person Scheme(CPS) scheme. If any structural work is included, such as increasing the opening width, replacing a window with patio doors, a building notice must be submitted.

Use of Building

You must use a full plans application if you intend to carry out building work in relation to a building to which the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 applies, or will apply after the completion of the building work.

The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 applies to all premises that are "workplaces", and imposes a duty on the responsible person to comply with its requirements.

A "workplace" includes any premises or parts of premises, not being domestic premises, used for the purposes of an employer’s undertaking and which are made available to an employee as a place of work. The Act also covers HMOs (Houses in Multiple Occupation) and apartment blocks.

If the work is being done to a building covered by the order, a full application will always be required, and will be referred to the Fire Authority.

Select the type of building control application you wish to make


Privacy notice

The council primarily use your data for handling your query.

All information is processed in accordance with our organisational data protection policy (

We never sell your data to third parties or use it for marketing purposes without your consent.